When you are a mommy, you cannot spend the Independence Day like any other holiday. On you lies the additional responsibility of explaining your kids how important is this day for our country and why it is celebrated. It will give them a sense of belonging to the country they’re born in, and will help mold them into responsible citizens.
And what better way can be than making delicious food with tricolor theme. So, here is a easy peasy tricolor Pudding recipe.
Divya, who is the cook and photographer of “You Too Can Cook”, and a mom of a little bud created this absolutely gorgeous pudding which kids will love. This tricolor agar agar pudding or jelly that is super easy to prepare and needs very little time too. The three colors have three different flavors and together they make a treat to your taste buds, visually it is very appealing too. The top orange layer is orange flavored agar agar pudding or jelly.
Total Preparation Time – 30 to 45 minutes
- Milk – 400 ml
- Agar agar strips – 5 grams
- Food colors Orange & Green – As required
- Sugar – 1/2 cup (90 to 100 grams)
- Pistachio essence (or) Cardamom essence – 1/2 teaspoon (You can also use a pinch of cardamom powder)
- Orange essence – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cut agar agar into smaller strips and wash in water, Squeeze well and set aside.
- Boil Milk: Now place a saucepan on flame and pour milk into it let it boil, add sugar and wait until it dissolves, then remove from flame.
- Dissolve agar agar strips: Place another pot or saucepan on flame and pour about 150 ml of water and add the agar agar strips into it. Switch flame to high mode and let it boil well, wait until the strips dissolve. Wait patiently, it will dissolve after about 10 to 15 minutes of time.
- Now pour this mixture into hot milk and stir well.
- Then separate milk into three portions and add pistachio essence (or cardamom essence) and green food color into one portion. Then add orange essence, vanilla essence and orange food color into another portion. (Adding vanilla essence along with orange essence makes it taste much better)
- Leave one portion plain, do not add any colors, you can add any colorless essence or extracts if you prefer some flavor. But make sure it stays white!
- Now pour the green colored agar agar milk mix into the serving bowl preferably a glass bowl (or any pan or moulds of your choice). Refrigerate or let it set in room temperature, but refrigeration will help quicken the process. Use a ladle to pour the mixture and be very gentle while pouring, see that there are no air bubbles while you pour.
- Once it gets set, pour the white milk mix over the green jelly using a ladle. (Before pouring touch the jelly gently to see if it has solidified enough. If in case the white jelly has set just reheat a little then it will liquefy, wait until it turns slightly warm to touch, then pour it atop the green jelly)
- Wait until the white gets set. Then pour the orange flavored jelly atop the white jelly. Try pouring equal levels to make sure it looks good. Refrigerate or set aside until it sets well.
- Then serve or refrigerate and serve later! Stays well for five days while refrigerated haven’t tried storing more than that.