Cumin or jeera is one of the most essential spices in Indian food preparations for flavor-enhancing as well as medicinal properties. It is also one of the first spices that make an appearance in a child’s life.
Health Benefits of Cumin for Kids
- Promotes Digestion: One of the most common issues faced by babies and toddlers are stomach pain and indigestion. Research shows that cumin can aid in digestion. It can be used in treating various stomach related issues like indigestion, diarrhea, colic, flatulence and nausea. The dietary fiber present in cumin helps to expel all the harmful toxins from the body and also eases the bowel movement.
- Boosts Immunity: We all know, children are most vulnerable to various infections due to low immunity. Cumin seeds are rich in iron, Vitamin A and C and help in strengthening the immune system. Cumin seeds can make a flavorful and healthy addition to baby’s diet.
- Helps in treating anemia: If your child is anemic, then it is important for the child to take good sources of iron. Cumin seeds being rich in iron, helps in the formation of red blood cells and is considered very effective for treating anemia.
- Treats Colic: It is seen that many babies and toddlers commonly suffer from colic. Due to the immature digestive system, babies find it difficult to digest foods like lentils, beans etc. Cumin seeds boost digestibility and help in reducing colic significantly in babies.
- Treats Common Cold: Due to its anti oxidant and antiseptic properties, cumin not only fights against common cold but also provides relief from respiratory issues like asthma. Cumin has strong anti-congestive benefit that clears the mucus and phlegm and helps in soothing the respiratory tract.
Apart from the above benefits, cumin is also found to enhance memory and brain health of babies.
How to use Cumin
Cumin is mostly used as a seasoning to add taste and flavor to various dishes. You can even boil a half teaspoon of jeera in one glass of water and offer it to your child every day.